Since Kris died, I’ve found myself relishing these moments, appreciating every year I am given the opportunity to live.
So here is 32 random facts about me, on my birthday.
1. When I was 4 years old I got a pencil eraser stuck up my right nostril. There was talk of a nose recontruction because no one could get the damn thing out. The day I was being prepped for an operation, an Ear, nose and throat Doctor just so happened to be in the ward. He fished it out with a metal hook on a stick ironically the size of a pencil.
2. I am the youngest and the only girl in my family (aside from mum, obviously.)
3. The only nickname I’ve ever had that stuck was given to me by Kris and it was ‘Betaydee.’ (Like potato mixed with Bethany)
4. My favourite colour is red. It does something to my heart that I can’t put into words. Wearing it makes me feel strong, sensual, confident, beautiful, unique. Given the choice, I will choose red shoes over any other kind, even if they don’t get worn more than once a year.
5. People think I’m a cat person. I’m actually just a mad animal lover. The only animal I’m not super keen on is Emus. Those guys are just jerks.
6. My three favourite places in Australia are the Yarra Valley in VIC, Geographe Bay in WA and the Blue Mountains in NSW. And yet I definitely consider myself a city girl.
7. I wrote my first song (if you can call it that) when I was 8. It was about a boy in my class who was older than me and I stuck it on the back of my mirror in my bedroom, ensuring that the words were about my cat, and did not mention said boy.
8. Nothing upsets me more than injustice. It gets me very, very angry.
9. If I was given the choice between ‘things’ and ‘experiences’ with people I love, I would choose the latter every time. Stuff isn’t important to me, but memories and experiences are priceless.
10. My love language is touch and quality time. But touch is very important, and I don’t like to be touched if I don’t know the person or trust them.
11. My favourite movies are all by M Night Shyamalan: Signs, The Lady in the Water, The Village. I love storytelling movies.
12. My favourite album growing up was The Beach Boys Endless Summer. I learned how to harmonise listening to that and the cover art on the digipack was amazing.
13. I walked down the aisle at our wedding to Paradise by Coldplay. I felt it told our story better than any love song could. Plus at 3 minutes 50, there is a guitar riff in the arrangement that so reminded me of Kristian. Since he couldn’t be there on our wedding day I wanted to have a piece of him in the music and that was it. I still get teary when I hear the guitar.
14. I am an introvert, through and through. This means I am recharged alone, not by spending time in large crowds. It means no matter how much I am enjoying myself at an outing, I am secretly relieved to get into bed at the end of it.
15. I met Stu (technically) on myspace in 2006. His friend was in my band and Stu was in his ‘top friends’. I thought he was gorgeous and I emailed him to say hi. The rest is history.
16. I’ve never thought of myself as a singer. I’ve always thought of myself as a songwriter that sings, and yet I’ve never felt like a musician.
17. I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was a kid, because WHALES AND DOLPHINS. But then I found out you had to be a science-type, and that was the end of that.
18. Winter is actually my favourite season, closely followed by Autumn.
19. I secretly judge men who don’t eat chilli.
20. I actually hate the colour purple. Like…. children’s princess dress purple. It makes me angry. I also don’t like baby-toy green. So basically, I’m screwed when we have kids.
21. I drive a blackhawk Jeep. My husband calls it the black panda. I call it toothless after how to train your dragon.
22. If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be Canada. We lived there for 9 months and I love it. It has all the perks of America, without the guns and with poutine!!
23. I hate the following things:
– repeating myself
– shouting to people through walls
– being interrupted
– repeating myself.
24. Favourite smells:
– freshly cut grass
– clean linens fresh from the dryer
– new books
– men’s cologne
– the smell of chimney smoke mixed with winter air
25. I regularly miss Michael Jackson. The music industry isn’t the same without him.
26. My parents are still married after 46 years. I am very thankful for that.
27. I released an album on my birthday in 2010 called ‘To The Fall’ and it went to number 1 on itunes inspirational charts.
28. I released a music video when I was 18 called ‘Like An Angel’ but haven’t got a copy anymore. The song was picked up as the tribute song for the victims of the Bali bombing in 2002.
29. I made it to the blind auditions on The Voice 2014. Loved the experience and would totally do it again.
30. My favourite song is ‘Hide and Seek’ by Imogen Heap. It makes me feel everything.
31. I chew through books and can read one in less than a day. Reading is very relaxing for me.
32. I am actually really excited about this year. I feel like a lot of amazing stuff is going to happen… because I’m going to make it happen. 🙂
Happy birthday to me! Thanks to everyone who’s sent me wishes, gifts and made my day so special.